Spain’s Mediapro has formally withdrawn its complaint over the selection process for awarding the host broadcaster contract for Spain’s LaLiga football league.
Earlier this month, LaLiga selected HBS (Host Broadcast Services) and NVP to handle media production in place of Mediapro for its Primera and Segunda Division matches for five years from the start of the 2025-26 season.
At the time, Mediapro said in a statement that LaLiga had “awarded the contract to a more expensive bidder” and that “the entire tender process has been marked by a lack of transparency.”
In a statement published on April 25, Mediapro said it has “formally withdrawn and fully retracts the content of its statement issued on April 14, 2025.”
Mediapro said its initial statement “stemmed from a premature assessment of the tender process and included claims that were not substantiated.”
“While Grup Mediapro had confidence in the strength of its technical and financial proposal, this conviction led to a communication that, in retrospect, was neither appropriate nor accurate. We regret its tone and content, particularly given that we were not — and are not — in a position to fairly assess or compare the competing offers.”
The Mediapro statement went on to say that it has “no grounds to assert that LaLiga's decision was arbitrary, lacked objectivity, or was made to benefit other participants at Grup Mediapro’s expense. We did not possess a factual basis to support these assertions and should therefore be disregarded.
“Likewise, Grup Mediapro also wishes to retract any suggestion that the tender process lacked transparency or was marked by secrecy, and that its outcome could be detrimental to clubs, the competition, or broadcast quality – particularly at the start of the season. These were speculative conclusions, and Grup Mediapro regrets making them.
“Finally, we reiterate our recognition of LaLiga’s role, in collaboration with Grup Mediapro and its professionals, in establishing one of the most innovative and technologically advanced football competitions worldwide, committed to the fight against piracy and championing innovation through the introduction of pioneering solutions such as remote production, AI-driven highlights, augmented reality graphics, and live cinema-style broadcasting now adopted globally.
“Grup Mediapro regrets the earlier statement and reaffirms its respect for the integrity of the tender process and all parties involved.”
You are not signed in
Only registered users can comment on this article.
ITV launches Live Addressable+ with Omnicom
ITV, the UK’s largest commercial broadcaster, has officially launched its live broadcast addressable advertising product, Live Addressable+, with an exclusive beta trial in partnership with Omnicom Media Group.
Enghouse Networks partners with INVIDI
Telecoms and media specialist Enghouse Networks and addressable TV advertising provider INVIDI Technologies have announced a new integration that reportedly expands advanced advertising capabilities across IP video environments.
Sports content races ahead in SVOD – Gracenote
Analysis by Gracenote, the content intelligence business unit of Nielsen, has shown that sports have quickly become a foundational part of the subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) content mix and now make up 5% of overall programming on leading services.
Bitmovin wins MUBI deal
Video streaming software specialist Bitmovin has been selected by film company MUBI as its cloud VOD encoding partner for its streaming platform.
Subtitles usage booms in UK, but many ads still need sound – report
Research from advertising platform XR Extreme Reach has found that subtitles have become mainstream viewing behaviour across streaming, social, and broadcast content in the UK, particularly among younger audiences.



