Disney and YouTube have struck a multi-year distribution agreement that ends a 15-day blackout that removed ABC, ESPN, FX, and other channels from the YouTube TV streaming platform.
All Disney networks will now be restored to YouTube TV customers. The deal ends a stand-off which saw Disney pull programming from YouTube TV in late October 2025. The dispute centred around the carriage fees that distributors like YouTube TV pay to carry broadcast and cable networks.
Before the deal was reached, Disney had said that YouTube TV was refusing to pay fair rates for its channel. Meanwhile, YouTube claimed that Disney was using the blackout as a negotiating tactic that would have resulted in higher prices for its subscribers.
Sports and political programming were among the casualties of the dispute, as YouTube TV users were unable to watch American football games or US Election Day coverage on 4 November 2025.
Alan Bergman and Dana Walden, the two Co-Chairmen of Disney Entertainment, released a joint statement with Jimmy Pitaro, Chairman of ESPN, which said the deal “recognises the tremendous value of Disney’s programming and provides YouTube TV subscribers with more flexibility and choice. We are pleased that our networks have been restored in time for fans to enjoy the many great programming options this weekend, including college football.”
Last month, YouTube said it would give subscribers a $20 credit if Disney content was unavailable “for an extended period of time.” For context, YouTube TV’s base subscription plan costs $82.99 per month. Additionally, YouTube is the largest internet TV provider in the US with more than 9 million subscribers.
According to recent research by Ampere Analysis, nearly one in five (18%) of YouTube users watch full-length movies and TV shows on the platform. Discover more here.
WBD mails definitive proxy statement to finalise Netflix merger
Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) will hold a special meeting of shareholders to vote on the merger with Netflix on March 20, 2026. In the meantime, WBD has begun mailing the definitive proxy statement to shareholders for the meeting.
Digital switch-off prospect nullifies Arqiva’s value
Arqiva’s main shareholder has admitted that its holding of the transmission company might be worth nothing.
Warner Bros Discovery mulls re-opening sales talks with Paramount
Warner Bros Discovery is considering reopening sale talks with Paramount Skydance Corp, according to a Bloomberg report.
BBC unveils fresh cost-cutting drive
The BBC is set to make cuts of around 10% of its costs in the face of "substantial financial pressures" over the next three years.
Report warns of unsustainable financial pressure for UK’s film and TV workforce
A survey examining the financial health of workers in the UK’s film, TV, and cinema industry has reported that a large proportion of the workforce is under severe and escalating financial pressure and that many are being “forced to leave” due to unsustainable circumstances.



