Your guide to what’s happening this week in the media, entertainment and technology industry.
- The Internet of Things World conference, where leading technology and services providers will be present, takes place this week from Monday to Thursday in California, US
- The 72nd Cannes Film Festival begins this Tuesday
- RTS is hosting a panel discussion on Promoting Wellbeing and Mental Health in the TV Industry this Tuesday at the Channel 4 studios in London. Book tickets here
- Sky is hosting a networking event providing an Insight into Women in TV Engineering at Sky TV this Wednesday, offering a chance to visit Sky HQ and hear from women in the industry
- SMPTE will hold its monthly technology webcast on Thursday at 1pm, titled Low-Latency Live Streaming. Attend the webcast for free by joining SMPTE
- Vislink Technologies Inc will announce Q1 earnings on Tuesday
- Cisco Systems will announce Q3 results on Wednesday
- Sophos Group Plc will announce Q3 results on Thursday
Film and TV releases
Netflix celebrates the 50th anniversary of US sketch show Laugh-In, starring several Hollywood stars from Neil Patrick Harris to Snoop Dogg. Still Laugh-In: The Stars Celebrate releases on Netflix this Tuesday.
The highly anticipated third sequel John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum releases this Wednesday in the UK, and on Friday in the US.
A Dog’s Journey releases in US cinemas this Friday and is currently in UK cinemas.
On this day
14 May 1998 Seinfeld’s final two-part episode “The Finale” airs on NBC to 76.3M viewers (adverts priced at $2M for 30 seconds).
17 May 1939 First televised baseball game is broadcast on NBC.