Your guide to what’s happening this week in the media, entertainment and technology industry.
- The 2019 Digital Content NewFronts event takes place in New York from Monday, with the likes of Twitter, Viacom, YouTube and Hulu presenting their content strategies.
- Facebook will hold its annual developer conference Facebook F8 in San Jose, California taking place on Tuesday through Wednesday.
- Social Media Week, a media and marketing event in New York, takes place from Tuesday until Thursday.
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, a conference on networking in the research industry, takes place in Paris from Monday until Thursday.
- The Cable Centre will hold its 22nd annual Cable Hall of Fame Celebrations 2019 on Thursday in New York City, where it will induct six honorees in the media industry.
- Google parent company Alphabet will release its Q1 earnings on Monday
- Akamai Technologies will release its Q1 earnings on Tuesday
- Apple will release its Q2 earnings on Tuesday
Film and TV releases
Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen star in unlikely yet charming romantic comedy Long Shot, releasing in US and UK cinemas this Friday.
Hotel Mumbai recounts the brutal attacks on Mumbai in 2008 and stars Slumdog Millionaire actor Dev Patel. It is in UK cinemas this Friday.
British actors Nicholas Hoult and Lily Collins play writer J.R.R. Tolkien and his wife in biographical drama Tolkien, releasing in UK cinemas this Friday.
Lily Collins also stars alongside Zac Efron in Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile, a chronicle retelling the crimes of Ted Bundy. In cinemas this Friday.
On this day
April 30th 1952 Mr Potato Head is the first toy advertised on television.