- SMPTE 2019 to be co-chaired by Sara J. Kudrle & Fox’s Thomas Edwards
- Todd Douglas Miller and astronaut Terry Virts among packed speaker lineup
- Machine Learning, AI, compression, 8K, UHD, workflows and standards all on the agenda in LA
SMPTE has unveiled the full event lineup for its annual technical conference and exhibition, with cinematographer Todd Douglas Miller and astronaut Terry Virts amongst the featured speakers.
SMPTE 2019, which will take place at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites in downtown Los Angeles between 21-24 October, will be co-chaired by SMPTE vice president of education Sara J. Kudrle and Fox VP of engineering and development Thomas Edwards.
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Over those three days, 40 papers will address topics including machine learning and artificial intelligence technology in professional content creation; new compression techniques and implementations; putting SMPTE ST 2110 into practice; leveraging SMPTE ST 2110 for live production; cinema processing and projection technology; the cloud; advances in audio; standards-based security in collaborative media spaces; 8K, 4K, UHD, HDR, and high frame rates; perceptual colour quality metrics; new production workflows; and access and the global community of technology. Thursday, the final day of the conference, will be “Space Day.”
In addition to a wealth of technical sessions and exhibitions of advanced technologies, SMPTE 2019 will include special events, including sponsored “pop-up” happy hours that offer numerous opportunities for face-to-face interaction between attendees, exhibitors, and speakers.
SMPTE has launched a number of passes for the event:
- The SMPTE 2019 All-Access Pass includes all conference sessions, as well as admission to the exhibition, the daily rooftop buffet lunch, and the Opening Night BBQ. Attendees with this registration package will also receive access to download available papers and presentations from the conference sessions. Tickets for other special events may be added during registration at an additional cost.
- The SMPTE 2019 Daily Pass includes admission to the conference sessions, exhibition, and buffet lunch for the day(s) selected. Tickets for special events may be added during registration at an additional cost.
- The SMPTE 2019 Exhibits-Only Pass is free for students and SMPTE Members this year. It includes admission only to the exhibition. Tickets for special events may be added during registration.