- Offers nine versions of the live stream from more than 20 different Twitter accounts
- Athletes, celebrities create own live audio/video commentary
- Deal marks to return of golf after coronavirus lockdowns
Twitter and the PGA Tour have announced a deal global live content partnership that is a first-of-its kind for the social media platform.
The ‘Twitter Multicast’ partnership kicked this week to mark golf’s return to competition at the Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial Country Club in Ft. Worth, Texas, which runs until June 14th.
“Twitter Multicast” sees athletes, celebrities and other personalities create their own live, audio/video commentary during the first round of the Charles Schwab Challenge.
Twitter Multicast features the likes of Danny Kanell, Dude Perfect, Darren Rovell, Darius Rucker, Annika Sorenstam, Golden Tate and others.
Each are giving their take on the action taking place during the event, with the broadcast content distributed natively through each partner’s Twitter handle.
The PGA Tour is among among the first major sports leagues to return to competition since the start of coronavirus lockdowns.
- Read more: Sports project restart
Rick Anderson, chief media officer of the PGA Tour. “With no spectators on site, we want to work harder than ever to connect our fans to the event, across numerous platforms and devices in addition to the PGA Tour Live, Golf Channel and CBS broadcasts.”
The Charles Schwab Challenge features the top-five ranked players in the world and 17 of the top 20 in the FedExCup Standings.
The Twitter Multicast is offering nine versions of the live stream with distribution from more than 20 different Twitter accounts.
The video streams cover pre-game, practice sessions, and the first two holes of competition of players such as Rory McIlroy, Brooks Koepka, Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler and Jordan Spieth.
“This first-ever Twitter Multicast will give golf fans a viewing experience they won’t find anywhere else,” says TJ Adeshola, head of U.S. sports partnerships for Twitter. “By adding conversation and commentary from a range of Twitter notables to premium golf content, the Multicast will have something for everyone, regardless if you’re looking for real-time reactions, analysis or just some laughs to pair with live footage from Colonial. This is a prime example of how to create a richer, more customized fan experience through the power of Twitter.”
The PGA Tour and Twitter first teamed up to live stream tournament coverage when portions of the golf event’s premium window was streamed during the opening rounds of the first two events of the 2016 FedExCup Playoffs.
Full list of the guest commentators across nine video streams:
- CBS Sports: Charles Davis (@CFD22) and Danny Kanell (@dannykanell)
- SKY Sports/NBC Sports: Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) and Conor Moore (@ConorSketches)
- Discovery/GOLFTV: Henni Zuel (@hennizuel) and Eddie Pepperell (@PepperellEddie)
- Golf Digest: Hally Leadbetter (@hallylead) and David Leadbetter (@davidleadbetter)
- The Action Network/GolfBet: Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell), Jason Sobel (@JasonSobelTAN) and guest
- LPGA: Annika Sorenstam (@ANNIKA59) and Brittany Lincicome (@Brittany1golf)
- Celebrity Stream: Darius Rucker (@dariusrucker) and Golden Tate (@ShowtimeTate)
- Celebrity Stream: Dude Perfect (@DudePerfect)
- Celebrity Stream: Paige Spiranac (@PaigeSpiranac) and Wells Adams (@WellsAdams)
No comments yet