Thursday 19th November 2020 at 14:00 GMT
The Inevitable March of Virtualized Services in Media & Entertainment
Virtualization of services has gone from media industry buzzword to being the norm in a post-pandemic, socially distanced world. For all its efficiency benefits, a distributed workforce has precipitated the implementation of virtualized services in the media production and broadcast value chain.
The media and entertainment industry necessitates workflows with high-throughput, high-bandwidth and ultra-live requirements. As production studios remained out of bounds for the better part of 2020, the production and broadcast value chain found new methods to migrate operations to the cloud for remote access to applications. In our panel, we discuss the push towards virtualization with two distinct media software-as-a-service companies, as well as a media cloud infrastructure and connectivity provider. The panellists will share their experiences around:
- Virtualized media production value chains – how powerful applications moved to the cloud
- Key benefits of virtualization: capex savings, compatibility and upgrades, easy configuration, remote accessibility
- Cloud-based video editing: deploying a feature-packed, frame-accurate web-based editor to overcome low-bandwidth access issues at home
- Virtualized live production: deploying a fully configurable virtual vision mixer as a service at live events
- Designing a media cloud infrastructure on the edge
- Low-latency connectivity that provides a seamless experience
- Challenges to overcome before virtualization becomes industry standard
Jeremy Dujardin, CTO Media Services, Tata Communications
Jeremy Dujardin is a video transmission industry expert with 15+ years of experience designing, implementing and operating infrastructures that support both contribution and distribution video services across fiber, IP and satellite technology.
Gregory Macchia, Vice President Americas, Simplylive
Gregory Macchia brings 20+ years of experience in the live broadcast production industry. Before joining Simplylive in 2017, Greg was the SVP, Americas for EVS Broadcast Equipment where he spent over 18 years building the Americas sales and technical operations. Greg holds a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Lehigh University.
Oliver Parker VP Commercial, Blackbird
Oliver Parker drives sales on strategic accounts and markets for Blackbird internationally. He joined Blackbird after 8 years at ChyronHego, covering sales of a multitude of live production solutions across EMEA, including key enterprise accounts. Previously Olly’s background was technical, working both as a solutions specialist and in operations for 5 years at Sky.
Rob Ambrose Managing consultant, High Green Media
Rob Ambrose is a consultant, industry analyst, writer and technologist providing strategic business advice and content to international broadcast and media companies, technology vendors and industry associations. He’s a regular speaker and moderator at industry events and is consulting editor for the IBC conference.